As of 6:30am (the time this post is set to, well, post), I will have been without children for an entire week. That's 168 hours or 10,080 minutes, or 604,800 seconds. No kids fighting, no messing rooms, and no complaints about dinner. I've also saved five hours of commuting time from not having to run the kids to sitters/daycare/school in the mornings or pick them up in the afternoon (5 hours in one week!) But there are also no hugs, no kisses, no smiles - only the ones I hear over the phone and picture in my head.
Some of those 600K seconds of the past week, I've felt like doing this:
Other times, I've felt like doing this:
...course I don't live on a beach, near a beach, nor have skinny legs like they do. but you get the idea.
And truth be known, I've a done a little of each. Mixed with a bit of this:
But here's what I have learned by this whole "my kids went on vacation for 9 days with their grandparents" thing:
- My lack of cooking has nothing to do with time. I just hate to cook. I have lived on PB sandwiches and brownies this week.
- No matter how much time I shave off my commute, I will never get to work early. I'm a few minutes late or just barely on time kind of girl.
- My children save me from my TV watching habits. They hog the TV, therefore I can't watch. When I can't watch, I read while they watch. Or write. Or blog. Or simply do something other than lay my ass on the couch everyday after work watching Weeds season marathons on Netflix Streaming.
- Having a constantly clean house is A-MA-ZING! I think I may try to keep this up. Not sure how its going to work, but I'll damn well try it.
- I'm not as social as I thought I was. I've had every opportunity to go out, and I while I have gone out some, I've chosen to stay home just as much. While money is tight, I've simply enjoyed the alone time. Which leads me to believe that I may be a shut-in in the making.
- I feed from my kids - their joy and heartache and anger and frustrations. I use it to propel me. I use it to propel my writing. When I need inspiration, I look to them often. A simple smile or hug can clear my head in an instant. While I had thought that I would get a lot written in this "peace and quiet", I've had a really hard time making words flow. I guess my children were my muse...whooda thunk?
- I talk to myself much more when people are around than when they aren't. Strange, huh.
- I need to date. Seriously. And in this town, there is a nada. Online dating sites, here I come. Woo.
Okay, sure there are other things, but that's enough for now. Can't wait till these guys come home and life gets back to its normal hectic self. (2 more days!)